Stop the Scroll: How to Win Attention on Mobile

In a relatively short time, mobile devices have become ubiquitous and mobile usage has transformed into an all-consuming experience. Today, the estimated time spent on mobile in the US is up to 4 hours and 29 minutes.  According to Insider Intelligence, mobile usage will account for 35% of total media time in 2023. 

The statistics are staggering and the message is clear. Consumers are living on their phones and experiencing extreme content overload. What does this mean for advertisers? Read on to get the scoop and key recommendations on how to stop the scroll from our session during Advertising Week NYC.

Play Video

The Takeaway: People don’t ignore all ads, they ignore bad ads.

A 2019 Marketing Week study conducted in the UK found that only 11% of the population surveyed said that they liked ads. The other 89% either said they didn’t really care or they simply disliked them. To say it’s apparent that consumers have had enough of the standard  banner ad is an understatement. What this study did not observe, however, was how people perceive standard ads compared to more innovative and immersive ad experiences. 

During the Adweek session, our CEO Suzanne Spence presented findings from a recent study we conducted with Lumen Research. Not surprisingly, the study found that people viewed full-screen, interactive mobile ads 3x longer than standard mobile display ads. Brand recall rates for the full-screen ads were also 3-4x the mobile display norm. 

With today’s technology, advertisers can create better ad experiences that lead to higher attention, longer engagement, and more meaningful connections between brands and people.  

Full-screen, interactive mobile ads #FTW

AR, VR, and other hyper-engaging forms of mobile advertising are becoming all the more common among brands that want to stand out in the clutter and increase performance. In fact, through a recent analysis of our client’s campaigns, we found that video ads with interactive features achieved a 53% boost in engagement compared to standard video ads. 

Of course, the ideal format for interactive mobile ads is the full-screen interscroller, as it provides a larger canvas for creative innovation. This point was echoed by co-presenter and Mobkoi partner, Alyce Panico of the Luxe Collective Group during the Adweek session. Alyce went on to explain that her agency analyzed hundreds of campaigns and identified a few key units that consistently perform well for clients', including the interscroller, bespoke units, and vertical and in-line video. Moreover, she emphasized that creatives with clear directives and KPIs are sure winners.

Interscrollers are ads that reveal the ad content as the reader scrolls down the visited page. When the user scrolls to reveal 85% of the placement, it can snap to take over the entire screen. The user can opt out of the screen simply by scrolling to dismiss the ad.

Steps to start winning more attention on mobile

In summary of our Adweek session, the following are key steps advertisers should take to create better mobile ads and rise to the top in the attention economy. 

Define what success looks like and align on expectations:

If you want to build hyper-engaging mobile ads, the first step is determining and aligning on campaign goals. Defining goals will help you map out the path your consumers will take from the first interaction to the conversion. This path will inform your ad creative, and time frame of the campaign, and allow you to track your results more effectively.

Think about ads as experiences:

Don’t be in the business of creating ads. Instead, focus on entertaining and delighting your audience with unique experiences that stand out in the clutter. Remember, interactivity is the key to boosting engagement. 

Find the right partners to execute:

Collaborate with partners that have already done the legwork to make your ad experiences a reality. Our expertise at MOBKOI is tech-enabled mobile ad innovation. We have spent nearly a decade honing our craft and know the right technologies and techniques that work on the mobile platform (so you don’t have to).  

Learn and iterate:

In order to innovate, it is critical that advertisers have the right reporting mechanisms in place to quickly and easily analyze performance as campaigns run. Moreover, advertisers should look beyond viewability to more powerful and actionable metrics like attention to truly understand how ads are resonating and driving business outcomes. 

Reach out to one of our experts to learn more about how we can help you build your next mobile campaign.